Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's that time again......

I can't believe the time has come to even be discussing this again but..... two weeks from today we fly to California for Reagan's heart cath and other pre-op procedures.  One year ago, May 2009, we flew out to LPCH thinking Reagan was about to have her last of many heart surgeries and get a complete repair of her heart.  God had other plans.  After the cath, CT and bronch, the cardiac team decided it would be beneficial  to Reagan if she have more time for her lungs to get in better shape before going through with the final repair surgery.  We were told to come back in one year and they would re-evaluate her and make the decision at that time.  So, April 22, Reagan and I, along with my mom, will be flying to California for Reagan's pre-op appt, heart cath, CT and bronch.  On April 28, the cardiac team will review their findings and make a decision about whether to do Reagan's surgery now or send us back home again.
I have had mixed feelings in the past about this, not knowing whether she's ready or not but in the last several weeks, I feel like God is preparing my heart for another hospital stay.  Reagan has become much more active in the past year and it seems to be catching up with her heart.  What I mean is, she tries and wants to do so many things she sees her brother and other children doing, but her little heart can't beat fast enough to keep up.  Her work of breathing has increased and there are days she requires oxygen on and off.  I feel like this is God's way of telling me although Rod and I may not be ready to see her go through another surgery, Reagan is ready and will be better off for it.
Another reason I've had mixed feelings about the surgery is that several months ago, we found out that Rod's unit will be deploying to Afghanistan this summer for a year long deployment.  In fact, Reagan was set for surgery in June but after finding out this news, we had to call the surgeon's office and get her bumped up sooner on his schedule.  2009 proved to be a good year for us and as soon as 2010 rounded the corner I had alot in my field of view making me think it was going to be a horrible year.  Why was God making us go through two huge stressful events, back to back?  However, in reading my devotional one morning,  I came across the following and it gave me the peace I now have heading into our next trip to California.  It also caught me attention, when the verse was the same verse I have in the sidebar of Reagan's blog with her picture from a past hospital stay.

A Few More Scenes
"In this world you will have tribulation," Jesus promises, "but be of good cheer, 
I have overcome the world."  John 16:33

God has kept no secrets. He has told us that, while on this yellow brick road (of life), we will experience trouble.  Disease will afflict bodies. Divorce will break hearts. Death will make widows and devastation will destroy countries. We should not expect any less. But just because the devil shows up and cackles, we needn't panic.
Our Master speaks of an accomplished deed....."It is finished" (John 19:30).  The battle is over. Be alert. But don't be alarmed.... The manuscript has been published. The book has been bound. Satan is loosed for a season, but the season is oh-so-brief... Just a few more scenes, just a few more turns in the road, and his end will come.  

Taken from Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado

This devotional gave me the thought that yes, we do have alot on our plates in the next few months, BUT....'don't be alarmed', 'the season is oh-so-brief'.  I feel like if I look at it this way, when those long dark days come, I can remind myself that "this too shall pass" and "God is still in control through it all."

A few things to be in prayer for:
  • Our travel safety- April 22
  • Reagan's health (to stay well)
  • All pre-op procedures to go as planned (no postponements)
  • A room to open at Ronald McDonald House
  • For our family as we are separated during this time.  Rod will stay back initially, until we find out if the surgery is a go or not.  If so, then he will fly out right before surgery. (With the deployment coming up, he only has 2 weeks leave to take and wants to use it at the best time)  Nolan has school until June 3 so he will stay back for that.  Pray for him as he is away from momma and sister during this time.
  • ALSO, HUGE REQUEST:  Nolan does not know about the deployment yet.  Rod and I are praying about when the best time will be to tell him.  He is very sensitive and analytical so telling him too soon would give his little mind too much to think about.  Reagan having surgery is enough for him right now.  The other day he said, "How many surgeries is sister going to have to have?  I wish they could just fix her heart on the first one so she wouldn't have to have any more." O.k. God, just stick a knife in my heart and twist it, why don't you, 'cause that's about what that statement felt like!!  Like I said, pray for us as we figure out how and when to tell Nolan about Rod leaving for a year.  
  • Our heart friend, Callie Carver, who is having her cath this next week to decide if she needs another surgery now. There is a link to her blog in the sidebar: Caring for Callie
Once again, thank you all again for all you do.  You do not know what your support means.  The comments you leave us are what get us through each day sometimes so keep them coming....

5 comments:

  1. MiMi (& Paw Paw) will be there in CA with you as much as we can & PawPaw & I will be here to help Bubba when he needs it, too. We love you, sweet Reagan, & your Mommy & Daddy & Bubba & God will protect us all through this journey, especially you, big girl. We love you all SO much! and....
    Jesus loves you, this we know for our Bible tells us so......

    ReplyDelete
  2. our sweet friends,

    this post hits home for us,and even brings tears to our eyes. we will be urgent in our prayers for your family. we love you guys.
    your brother and sister in Christ,
    justin and victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put you all on our prayer chain in my Sunday School class..in my thoughts and prayers as always! Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be down there when you get there, we'd love to see you. Our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete