Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hospital Update

Just a quick update from our short hospital stay.  First of all, let me say "Thank you, Lord" that is was only an overnight stay.  One of our shortest hospital stays ever!!  We checked in Sunday morning and Reagan received her first shot of Lovenox around 2pm.  4 hrs later labs were drawn to check the lovenox level.  Thankfully, it was perfect so her dose did not have to be altered.  At midnight, she received her second shot.  Monday morning, Kay and I practiced giving shots.  Aunt Kay actually let me give her just a shot of normal saline to practice before giving Reagan hers.  I then bravely administered my first shot ever.  It wasn't as bad, for me at least, as I was expecting.  I'm sure Reagan might feel a little differently.  Anyway, we started giving her stickers after each shot so now she's asking for stickers all the time, ha!  Monday afternoon, she was discharged and we all three came home.  Kay comes over to the house everyday at 9am and 9pm to hold her while I give her the shot.  We have follow-up appts. next Tuesday in Austin with cardiology and hematology.  The hematologist will do a lab draw to make sure her levels are still good and talk with me about duration of therapy and how often lab draws have to be done.  I've heard anywhere from 3-6 months of shots.  Yuck, I'm praying for the shorter course but most importantly, that the Lovenox takes care of the blood clot.
Everyone at Dell Children's could not believe how big Reagan is.  The last hospital stay we had there was in Oct. of '08 so needless to say, she looks a little different now.  They were all coming in and saying hi to her and she would just look at them like who are you.  I told her these people took care of you when you were a very sick baby & she would just smile.
Here are some pics from our short stay.
enjoying some of my mom's lunch


outside Sunday night by the waterfall (I took 3 pics and she closed her eyes for all 3)


watching Toy Story on the laptop with her new Elmo she got off the hospital Toy Cart

Thank you all again for your prayers!  Keep praying the clot is resolved quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update - so thankful it was a short stay. We will continue to pray for the blood clot to disappear, and for Reagan to be able to tolerate the shots with no pain. Your entire family is in our prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to meet Aunt Kay and give her a hug for being there for you all!
    Just read the update about the salmonella - i'm so sorry my friend. We will be praying.
    xoxo,
    the Nelsons

    ReplyDelete